Friday 31 March 2023

Instant Martians

 A while ago I saw a post about some CP Model figures   Alien Avians from here    https://cpmodels.co.uk/shop/et15-avian-squad/

They look like this:


I immediately thought of the Instant Martians from the Marvin the Martian cartoons.


So i went and bought three squads 😁 to battle someone at some time in the future.

My interpretation.


Top down view

Who is that lurking in the background?



All photos taken with my new camera in my newish lightbox using the martian red backdrop.

As you can tell by all the close up shots I am quite pleased with these. 😊

This is probably the best painting I have ever done and all thanks to the contrast paints that I thought I would give a go.  I used the GW ones and purchased the green, purple and grey (for the gun) and undercoated white. The gentleman at the GW shop was very kind and directed me to the display they had with the various colours over white undercoat and helped me choose the right ones using the picture of the martian.

The other colours are just the usual paints.

Anyway, I thought it was very interesting to get such a good result with my meager talents.  They are also quite forgiving, I painted the purple over the green for one squad and it came out a ugly brown. But I just repainted white and then tried again and no issues.

Anyway, very pleased with this result and determined to see if I can get something similar on 10mm figures.  A very easy process and I can now see what the fuss is all about.

I know for talented painters this is very ordinary but for your enthusiastic painter like me it is a great leap forward.

And also yay for me, two posts in one month (just).


19 comments:

  1. They look great, and what a brilliant idea. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you indeed. Nice minis mate. I also got on better than expected with GW contrast paints recently - after a few mistakes and a little practise. As you say, they are quite forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM! I am looking forward to seeing the results on 10mm figures.

      Delete
  3. Great work with the contrast paints Ben , they look really good, and I prefer your more " friendly" looking avian aliens to the originals at the top of your post....I think it's the colour combinations that make the originals look evil and yours much more benign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!. Yes, I don't think anyone was ever scared by the instant martians 😊

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOSH I FREAKING LOVE’EM.
    You’re paint scheme might be inspired by something silly but it works a lot better. Do you have any idea of what to pit them against and what rules to use? Or are they destined to stay in the cabinet for years?….😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew! I bought them because the idea just made my day. I am sure they will pop up against my Space Rangers at sometime in the future, using Galactic Heroes or one page 40k - something simple that suits me 😁

      Delete
  5. Great idea to use the instant martian colour scheme for the avians, works perfectly Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, sorry I think I have accidentally deleted your post. Very rude of me.

      Delete
    2. Hope I did not type anything offensive.

      Delete
    3. No no no! I think I must have hit the delete button as well as the reply button. Either I need a new computer or my computer needs a new user 😁

      Delete
  7. Lovely finish on these instant Martians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool Ben!
    Paint work on these looks good, nice work...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crikey - the instant Martian takes me back! Great idea and perfect execution - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete