Wednesday 10 March 2021

Cold War - Soviets

 A new set of armies to collect - Cold War .

As usual, it started with an project semi-dormant for years that had been ticking slowly along that is the suddenly ignited by a new model or range of minis.

In this case a 1/144th scale model of the Caspian Sea Monster - or that was what the US called the strange radar contact that was not a plane but which would cross the Caspian Sea at very high speed. It was in fact an ekranoplan - a type of ground effect aircraft that could carry 100 troops or some light vehicles.

Anyway seeing this got me interested and I immediately purchased it before it disappeared. As Christmas was coming up it was a perfect excuse to get what I wanted and save my wife the bother of searching for something.



Of course, once I got my ekranoplan I needed some troops.  I discovered after some internet searching Plastic Soldier Company sold a 10mm Soviet Motor Rifle Company with 10 T62, 10 BTR60 100 troops and two recce vehicles.

So I purchased them and realised I needed some helicopters as well. So off to the internet again and luckily Mighty Ape was having a sale and I got 2 1/144 scale Hinds.

I still need to get a few more HQ troops for the infantry and 1 or 2 ZSU-4 AA vehicles.

Over the past few years I have collected 5 JS-2 tanks as well as 3 T-54s.  

So now I will be able to field :

Class 1 Motor Rifle company, T-62s & BTR60s to take the fight to the west
Class 2 Motor Rifle company, T-54s & BTR60s for the second wave of attacks
Class 3 Motor Rifle company, JS2s & trucks to counter attack a Marine landing near Leningrad or the BOAR somewhere in the steppes.

I already have the BOAR troops, (currently battling TOOT in the 22nd Century) 10 M48 Patton Tanks, 4 Abrams and 8 Marine AAVP-7, the 1034th Super Duper Heavy Panzer Company (Rattes and Mauses) and 10 early West German APCs.

I will need to buy some 1960s US Army troops, to battle Soviet attacks on the US using their ekranoplan as well as to battle any aliens that may choose to attack Washington DC.

 Below are the Plastic Soldier Company Troops 
Every thing seems to scale well with the Pendraken figures so that is good.

I got one extra BTR60 chassis , no wheels or turret, so it is going to become a bit of battlefield terrain.

Close up of the infantry.  Not as good as Pendraken but OK.

A new project to take up my time painting, planning and purchasing.






2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    If you are looking for rules try Worldatwar85,Its qa board game but you can download the rules for free and adopt them by simply saying 1 hex is 4cm. i have used the WW2 version.
    its good for solo as has random activation (card pull driven) of formations.

    ReplyDelete