Wednesday, 9 September 2026

British Napoleonics Cavalry

 Some more British Napoleonics roll off the painting desk.

One unit of Dragoons, one of Household Cavalry and five commanders

Dragoons heading left

Dragoons wheeling right

Bunch of commanders ready to lead everyone to a glorious victory or epic defeat. On the left the newly promoted horse artillery outrider.

Household cavalry .... black horses except for the bugler who has a white horse. See I do do some internet research. I presume the bugler has a distinctive horse so that the enemy shoots him ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ 

Another view.

I might have to increase the amount of flock on the bases.

List of figures and units.  All Pendraken figures, as are the flags.

Figure

Number    Type                                Units        Percentage completed

180            Line Infantry                   6x30            0%
32              Light Infantry                   2x12            0%
30              Rifles                               1x30            0%
15              Household Cavalry        1x15            100%
30              Dragoons                        2x15            50%
3+12          Line Artillery & crew        3            100%
3+12          Horse Artillery & Crew    3            100%
2+8            Horse Artillery                  2            100%       
5                Commanders                     5             100%
6                Wellington with aides        1             0%

Some done but still a lot more to do. Maybe by Christmas but I doubt it.

24 comments:

  1. Excellent looking Cavalry Ben. Pendraken do make some great little figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I wish I could paint them to the standard they deserve ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  2. Handsome cavalry, Ben, and good to see some research creep into your planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. In no time I will be a full nappy nerd and repainting cuffs and counting buttons ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
    2. LOL! I am not going to inhale, just a taste ๐Ÿคฃ

      Delete
  3. Very nice Ben! I think white (grey) horses were a common accoutrement for cavalry musicians in all armies at the time. The also often had reversed colours but not in Royal regiments - I know because I made the mistake of painting my drummer for the Royal Scots in a blue coat with red facings - WRONG!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. I don't think you can win with Napoleonic uniforms as there is always something that is incorrect. I bet the generals didn't spend as much time on it as we do ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking cavalry, so, it will all be over by Christmas? Heard that before!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Which Christmas? Hopefully will take less time than WW1 ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
    2. My Grandad bet that the war would be over by Christmas 1914 or hed join up at 45 years old, got gassed on the Somme three times,once by the Brits,once by the French and once by the Germans!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Fine looking horse to reinforce your perfidious English Ben!
    Re. your exchanges above re uniforms, we need to remember: wargaming standard is all that is required to identify them easily on the table top and to provide that lovely, colourful look. It pays to look at one of those magnificent 'photos' from around the time (aka paintings). Find one that is a freebie in high quality on wikimedia commons (there are several), zoom in on your screen and look not at the figures in the foreground, which are 54 mm equivalent or larger, but those in the distance that are more to your scale. THAT is what is needed! :)
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice indeed

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found this post Ben! Very nicely done, they look super, done a good job on some very nice figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnie. Very kind and thanks for taking the effort to come and visit ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  8. More painting progress with some good looking cavalry.

    ReplyDelete