Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Two Surprises

 First Surprise

I have painted not one but TWO British Line units in the past week!!!

3rd Battalion 33rd Regiment front

and rear

2nd Battalion 44th Regiment front

and rear.

A mixture of contrast and normal acrylic paints.
So three weeks and four units done, well on track for Christmas!
5 units to go in 9 weeks!  
List of figures and units.  All Pendraken figures, as are the flags.
Figure
Number    Type                                Units        Percentage completed
180            Line Infantry                   6x30            64%
32              Light Infantry                   2x12            0%
30              Rifles                               1x30            0%
15              Household Cavalry        1x15            100%
30              Dragoons                        2x15            100%
3+12          Line Artillery & crew        3            100%
3+12          Horse Artillery & Crew    3            100%
2+8            Horse Artillery                  2            100%       
5                Commanders                     5             100%
4                Wellington with aides        1             100%

Second Surprise

I went to the local wargaming convention and came away with some unexpected purchases.

First up     Vikings:   Fjord Serpents
I had seen this last year and was tempted as it is an Australian company and is 10mm and I had been to Sweden and Denmark that year, both hotbeds of Viking activity and history 😁But my sensibility intervened and I decided not to get it. This year my resolve crumbled after seeing a game played on Sparkers Wargaming so I indulged myself in a new project.

Lots of toys, 4 ships, 322 crew, rule book, etc. A good increase in the lead mountain after finishing off the Napoleonic's.

Extra Kings and Heroes plus a building.....bugger I am going to need more than one building 😂

I did start thinking about how I could expand the project with some peasants to raid, but I am trying to resist until at least I paint the starter box and play a few games

Also got a blue paint pen to test out..... so at least mildly sensible


Finally there was a bargain that could not be resisted. Half price cold war American army figures to extend my existing 1950 American army into the 1970s
10 M60 tanks and 8 M113's.   So a simple addition, bit of glue, spray olive green, black tracks, add decals and job done.  Although I might need to get some extra ATGM for the infantry as I think I only have bazookas 😂




16 comments:

  1. Great looking units. Production is really cranking up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I am really surprising myself.

      Delete
  2. Great job on your British! My! You came back from the con with an armload of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Nothing like a good dose of retail therapy

      Delete
  3. Some very good retail therapy all round, the Viking stuff looks superb. Two units ... they look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was excellent considering I was trying to stick to my list 😂 Thanks Norm!

      Delete
  4. Fine looking Brits, Ben! And a few bargains too, can't be bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Certainly has lifted my mood 😁

      Delete
  5. Great work on the brits, churning them out a good rate. The Viking game looks really interesting, not seen that one before but the 10mm used makes it that bit different from the normal. really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. The authors of the Viking game said they went with 10mm as at this scale everything can be done at 1:1.

      Having flicked through the rule book they are very keen on reproducing the Viking era accurately as far as possible within a playable game. So I hope it will be fun once I get my head around it.

      Delete
  6. Some good (and interesting) purchases there. Your painted British infantry look rather splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Some fun purchases that I hope to get done in the next year 😂

      Delete
  7. Speedy work on the two British units, Ben, the 33rd being famous in later years as The Duke of Wellingtons Regt! The Viking game looks interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent additions to your British! Nice additions to your kit too, remarkable restraint though, not getting the peasants, are you sure youre alright?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete