So I have made it through the first scenario on my second attempt.
Got off the end of the board with my food and only lost two men,(the minimum requirements) plus got some firewood, bandages, fodder, clothing, and a sword.
On my first attempt, I only found some food at the last loot spot, at which point the table was crawling with Russians and five of my men were dead.
So some photographic evidence of the successful game.
![]() |
| End of turn 2. One more loot point is discovered, fodder. This was worrying as I need food! The Russians reach the edge of the wood and open fire but miss. Two more Russians arrive on the left. |
![]() |
| End of turn 6. Edouard escapes, Christophe can't make it to the exit and is cut down just short of safety. |
A difficult game with some difficult decisions to be made. The scenario teaches that you need to be utterly ruthless to live through the retreat.
The campaign phase.
The food points fed everyone and allowed me to recruit one more infantry (Marc) and one Lancer (Christophe) I chose the Lancer as we can eat the horse if we need to 😢 Hopefully the two remaining fodder points will help.
The bandages healed Edouard's wound but then he got frostbite! Having lost two men morale went down 2 but then rose 2 from our new recruits.
So stay tuned for scenario 2, Through Frozen Streets.
A few final thoughts. I expanded the QRS so I didn't need to flick through the rule book so much. It all fits on one page. As food is vital I think I may choose loot points items in advance to ensure that there is at least 2 food points hidden on the board. Otherwise it can be impossible to win if food does not come up when rolling for the loot point contents on the Loot Table. Although food becomes more plentiful in the next game so I may just see how I go.






Great work Ben, nice AAR with top mini Sa and terrain, looks good and read well!
ReplyDeleteThank you Captain!
DeleteTable looks great and you weave an exciting tale. This was a tough challenge for the French. Probably a good call to ensure that some food can be found to keep everyone from starving.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jonathan, it is a difficult challenge indeed.
DeleteThat's an excellent report Ben. Its just what we were hoping for, they are all pretty hard games and like you said you have to make some tough choices, these choices really make the game seem more real in my opinion. Well done. Looking forward to the next game!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ray. I am glad it is up to expectations. It is harder than I thought it would be, and I am now expecting to play each of the scenarios at least twice to get through them.
DeleteNice one Ben, looks like my kind of game!
ReplyDeleteThanks JBM. It is a fun and tough game.
DeleteHi Ben, sounds like it is giving you a good solo challenge and it has you coming back for more - so all good!
ReplyDeleteIt is a good solo game with some tough choices to make.
DeleteGreat battle report. Glad you're enjoying the game. Paul, Pazoot
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Paul. I am looking forward to the next scenario.
DeleteA nice winter tabletop setup and game report.
ReplyDeleteThank you Peter.
DeleteAn enjoyable read Ben and the table looks great, really gives that cold winter feel, superb work.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Donnie.
DeleteSounds like a great solo game!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
It was great Iain. The way the Russians play gives a great game.
DeleteGreat report Ben - sounds like Call of Duty et al - you have to play the scenarios two or three times before you can complete them and move on the next one - maybe Ray, Lee and Paul (?) designed them that way?!
ReplyDeleteThanks Keith. It is a very tough game and I can see myself playing through a few times, trying to get a PB or make it through with just one game per scenario.
DeleteHi Ben,
ReplyDeleteCracking battle report! Forcing those cold, calculated sacrifices to get your men off the board really brings the grim reality of the retreat to life. Recruiting a Lancer strictly as a "contingency meal" is brilliant, dark 1812 logic, too!
All the best, Andy
Thanks Andy. It does really bring it to life. A game best played during winter I think....maybe outside in the cold 😂
Delete
ReplyDeleteCan you do a scenario during the hot summer days of the early phase of the campaign instead? We've had sub-zero or thereabouts minima this week, so don't need any more cold thanks Ben*! The look and story of the game provides an enjoyable read, thanks. Les six, no make that cinq mousquettaires were fortunate that les russes were not those 'dastardly' mounted kind!!
Best wishes, James
*Mind you the beautiful, clear, warm days make up for it
Maybe change the scenarios so it is the Russians being chased by the French?
DeleteThanks James. The Cossacks may turn up in the next scenario...so out of the frying pan and into the fire for our brave French men.
Same sort of weather over here, nice if you are in the sun but otherwise freezing.
Looks like a good solo game, nothing needs to be nice about the Retreat and its nerve racking to make the escape . What a solo game can be like. Well presented as usual.
ReplyDeleteThanks Simon. A really good game, keeping you on your toes from start to finish.
Delete