For the 1812 Retreat from Moscow project I have completed painting the houses and the French forces.
While the houses are not strictly correct for the period they are close enough for me. They come with a courtyard so the houses can either be placed independently or as part of a fortified farm. This will give a bit more flexibility in any future snowy games.
The French I have painted as pretty much in their summer blue uniforms as that is what has come. Some infantry I have painted grey to represent wearing their greatcoats. But they look OK I think and I can pretend that this is early on in the retreat. πIt still looks pretty dismal!
I have based them all on clear plastic counters and have painted numbers on the bases so that the individuals can be distinguished.
![]() |
| Trudging along the road to Paris. Led by some lancers and with some at the rear to guard against Cossacks |
![]() |
| Some civilians hoping to join the procession |
![]() |
| Another view of the dispirited team. At the cross roads a forgotten standard is stuck in the snow. This is used in the fourth scenario. |
![]() |
| Drone or crow's eye view |
![]() |
| Another closeup |
Well half done now. Just the Russians to do.





You have set the scene very nicely and quickly!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jonathan.
DeleteI think your courtyard buildings work really well!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Thanks Iain. I hope I get to use them a few times.
DeleteThe table looks fantastic. The clear bases work really well.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richard. I do like the clear bases, especially as they were cheap and very simple to use.
DeleteOh yes! Well done Ben. The troops look very cool indeed! Looking forward to more.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ray. Very kind, not quite your standard though π
DeleteThat looks great. I love the clear bases
ReplyDeleteThank you anon.
DeleteYou certainly got those done quickly Ben....did you already have the winter white cloth, trees, river etc or have you done all that as well?
ReplyDeleteThanks Keith. I had done the trees and rivers in June. The white cloth I have had for a while. Just $12 from K-Mart.
DeleteExcellent work, these look brilliant. Its great to see the rules inspiring other wargamers. I look forward to seeing the Russians.
ReplyDeleteThank you BigLee. Very kind and I hope to get the Russians finished soonish and on to gaming.
DeleteVery Chilly - nice job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Norm!
DeleteLooking good Ben, great looking set up.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Donnie.
DeleteHi Ben,
ReplyDeleteSplendid work! That winter setting looks wonderfully bleak—the clear bases blend in seamlessly with the snow cloth. The details like the forgotten standard stuck in the snow and the trailing civilians really bring the misery of 1812 to life. Looking forward to seeing the Russians join the fray!
Cheers, Andy
Thank you very much Andy. The Russians are Coming! π
DeleteFantastic Ben. On a cold July day you are making me feel colder!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Thanks James....sorry for the chilly feeling π
DeleteLooks suitably cold Ben! I like the figure basing…
ReplyDeleteThank you Captain. Makes them looking like they are walking on ice π
DeleteGreat table Ben. I can feel the cold!
ReplyDeleteThanks Javier!
Delete